Last updated on October 13th, 2023
Today many businessperson, doctors, students, and professionals cannot complete their day without Gmail. It is a free service provided by Google in 2004. Today, Gmail has the most active users and is present to almost everyone for email registration on different platforms.
If we turn back, we will know there was a time when people used Outlook for registration on different platforms, but now the time is changed, and now maximum user wants to import PST to Gmail.
In this write-up, we’ll focus on few well-known and reliable solutions to import PST files to Gmail.
Before we discuss why a user imports PST to a free Gmail account, let’s look at a few user queries to understand the issue better.
User Query 1
Greetings! I’m the manager of an IT firm, and we use Outlook as our professional email provider. We’ve encountered an issue, so we’re transferring to Gmail.
As I work in customer service, I have to send many emails to clients daily, and the data in my email folder is essential. I’m not sure how to import PST to G Suite/ Gmail without Outlook – any assistance would be much appreciated. Do you have any ideas for an all-in-one solution to this?
After reading the user’s request, it’s clear they need help uploading their PST to Gmail. Let’s look at the other common reasons for transferring PST files to a Google Mail account.
Recommended Solution 1: Use Shoviv IMAP Backup & Restore tool for importing Outlook PST
emails to your Gmail account.
Compelling Reasons to Import PST into Gmail
- Gmail provides a free storage facility of 15GB for both Google Drive and Gmail.
- Users can use the various applications using a single Gmail account.
- Gmail provides 2 step verification facility. Also, emails sent using Gmail gets automatically encrypted in transit using TLS.
- Users can access Gmail from any device, for example, Android, Desktop, Windows, Mac, iOS. Also, users can remotely log out of Gmail from all devices.
- Gmail has a lot of extensions that can be installed in Chrome. And also, many add-ons can be integrated directly into Gmail.
Now, after I discussed the reasons to import PST file to Gmail, I am expressing two simple and reliable approaches for importing PST files to Gmail.
Recommended Solution 2: Use Shoviv Google Workspace Backup & Restore to quickly transfer
all your important emails, contacts, and other data from Outlook PST to your Google Workspace.
Simple Methods to Migrate/Import PST to Gmail Accounts
Here I’ll discuss three methods, all methods can import a PST into Gmail. One of them required Outlook installation and the other two methods work without Outlook.
One is Google Workspace migration for Microsoft Outlook (GWMMO), and the second one is enabling IMAP configuration in Gmail and Adding an account in Outlook. The third one is an automated software named Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool.
Method 1: Import PST File into Gmail Using GWMMO
GWMMO is a tool specifically designed to move emails from Outlook account to Gmail and it also enables users to import PST to G Suite directly.
- Start with downloading the GWMMO tool.
- Now launch the tool, provide an email address and click on the Continue
- Then, allow the permissions. After that, a dialog will appear. Here choose the Outlook profile or PST file to migrate and click.
- Following, choose the folders you want to migrate from the PST file and click on the Migrate
- Now it will start to migrate the PST file to Gmail, and you can monitor the process on your screen.
- Once done, verify it by logging in to the Gmail account you have provided earlier in the process.
It is how you can import Outlook PST to Gmail for free. With the GWMMO tool, users can import existing email, calendar, events, and personal contact from PST file to Gmail account. But the GWMMO tool imports only personal contacts and also it takes too much time; more than your expectations.
Drawbacks of Using the GWMMO Method:
There are a few drawbacks to using the GWMMO method to import PST to Gmail. The GWMMO Method can come with a few challenges, as it requires some technical knowledge. Here are the potential issues you may face when using this method:
- A user who is unfamiliar with the interface of Gmail may find this method very confusing since it is not very user-friendly.
- The import of PST files into Gmail can only be done with Writeable PST files, not with Read-Only PST files.
- The process of importing multiple PST files into one or more Gmail accounts takes place one at a time. This is a one-to-one process.
- This Gmail PST file opening method can only use with one Gmail account at a time.
- It’s essential to download and install several programs, such as GWMMO and MS Outlook when using the GWMMO method.
- Moving PST files into multiple Gmail accounts is an individual process.
- If something interrupts the task of “import PST file to Gmail,” you need to restart it.
- If you’re transferring lots of data to Gmail via a slow connection, you may experience a time-out.
- When trying to add PST files to Gmail, it’s not uncommon to experience errors such as 0x80040109, 0x80041066, or 0x80070035.
- Please note that Gmail cannot import certain partial categories of your emails, calendar events, contacts, etc.
- Additionally, this method does not include importing journal entries, Outlook Notes, tasks, or RSS feeds into your Gmail account.
To import a PST file to Gmail instantly and with the organization’s global list, third-party tools are recommended.
Method 2: Import PST File into Gmail with Outlook
There is another method that users can practice to import PST to G Suite, but they need to have Outlook installed on their system. Users can be able to move data, like their emails, calendar, etc., into their Gmail accounts. For this, it is required to connect Gmail and Outlook to share the data.
This method requires users to implement a long process.
However, to make it easier, we have compiled a list of steps for users, which is essential for them to share the data from the PST file into Gmail.
Step 1: Open your Gmail account and then click on the setting icon. You will see “See all settings”. Kindly, click on it.
Step 2: A new window will appear. Here need to click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Thereafter, click on Enable IMAP option.
Once you successfully make changes in the Gmail settings, now its turn to create a connection with Outlook.
Step 3: Launch MS Outlook, and click on the File tab. Now you need to select the Info option which will open up a new menu. Click on Add Account to move ahead.
Step 4: Now you’ll be redirected to a login page where you need to enter the Gmail credentials to create a connection with Outlook.
Step 5: Now your Gmail account is successfully linked with Gmail.
User can access their Gmail emails in the Outlook. However, to import PST to Gmail instantly and with the organization’s global list, third-party tools are recommended.
Import PST File to Gmail Without Outlook: The Persuasive Strategy
The most recommended way to import PST file to Gmail is using a third-party tool. There are many software on the internet, one of them is Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore.
This software is devised in a such way that it can import Outlook PST into Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo, and all other IMAP server mailboxes. Yes, you read it right, you can import PST files to all IMAP Server mailboxes, and without Outlook installation.
Simple Steps to Import PST to Gmail:
- Step 1: Run the Shoviv Gmail Restore tool.
- Step 2: Click the Restore/Export Button and enter Job Name.
- Step 3: Add PST File to Import and enter Server Name.
- Step 4: Map PST with Gmail Mail and Use Thread Option.
- Step 5: Check Run Job Instantly box to start Import Process.
Import PST to Gmail Process described with Screenshots
- Visit Shoviv’s website, then install and open the software on your system.
- Now click on the Restore/export button and provide the job name and Add PST files. After that, click on the Next button.
- Now enter the Server name (for Gmail “imap.gmail.com”) and Map Gmail mailboxes with the PST files. Now validate the Gmail mailboxes by clicking the validate button. Once done, click on the Next button.
- Next will be the Filter wizard. Here you can Include/exclude PST items on the process date and folder filter basis. After using the filter option, make a click on the Next button.
- Now the Thread settings wizard will appear, with the help of this option, you can run multiple threads to import PST files to Gmail speedily. Check the Run job immediately checkbox to run the job after finishing the settings.
- At last, you will be provided a preview of your import process setting. If satisfied with the settings, click Finish. To edit, click Back.
5 Facts you should know About the Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore
- Import in IMAP server: As I’ve mentioned earlier, with the Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool, you can import PST to Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo, Outlook, ZOHO, Mail, and other email services that use the IMAP protocol.
- Prevent Duplicity: The software has a default incremental option that prevents importing items that are already presented in Target. Hence, you will never import duplicate items, this will reduce the size of the IMAP mailbox.
- Maximize the import process: The software has an additional item thread setting facility. Using this feature, users can run multiple threads for PST files and items. By running the multiple threads, the import process speed will increase uncommonly.
- Create multiple import jobs: In Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool, you can create multiple jobs to import PST files to Gmail. Multiple jobs enable users to import PST files to multiple different IMAP mailboxes (PST to Gmail, PST to Office 365, and any other IMAP service).
- Import only items you need: Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool has a filter option by using which users can include/exclude desired items from the import process. Users can select a date range or add folders’ names to include/exclude them.
Bringing all Together
Here, I have discussed two reliable solutions to import PST to Gmail. Now it depends on you, what you prefer. But before making any decision, we suggest you download the free version of the Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool.
Frequently Asked Questions:
A. Yes, you can import PST files into Gmail using a third-party tool or GWMMO tool (Google Workspace migration for Microsoft Outlook).
A. Yes, you can open and access your PST files in Gmail, but for that, you have to import PST files into Gmail and enable the IMAP and permit less secure applications from settings.
A. Yes, you can move multiple PST files to multiple Gmail accounts simultaneously by using Shoviv IMAP Backup and Restore tool. There is no restriction on adding the number and size of PST files to import into Gmail accounts.
A. Assuredly, using Shoviv Google Workspace Backup & Restore tool you can easily Access/Import Outlook PST emails, contacts, and calendars in your Google Workspace Gmail account effortlessly.
- How to Import Outlook Emails to Gmail Account?
- How to Import Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird?
- How to Open PST File In Gmail?
- How to Import PST to Thunderbird?
- How to Import PST to Yahoo Mail?
- How to Import Google Takeout MBOX into New Gmail?
- How do I Migrate Emails from Gmail to Another Gmail Account?