Office 365 is a software as a service; provides multiple features, capabilities, and functionality. It allows users to add SharePoint, Skype, Exchange Server, and many other SaaS on their subscription plan. Besides this, Office 365 has plans for every type of organization and individuals. It is the best way to increase productivity in any organization. That is why organizations and individuals are moving towards Office 365. However, Office 365 migration is not a task to take lightly.
If you are one of those who are planning to migrate to Office 365, then you are on the right blog. Here in this write-up, we’ll describe a few suggestions and a third-party tool, which you can include in your Office 365 migration plan.
How to plan an Office 365 migration:
Planning makes the difference between a successful migration and a disastrous one. When preparing for Microsoft 365 migration, it is important to plan effectively and thoroughly. You should take care numbers of factors for a hassle-free migration, such as:
- Why are you choosing to migrate?
- How will you train your staff, and how will your infrastructure change after migration?
- Which is the best Office 365 plan for you?
- What benefits do you expect from migration towards Office 365?
If you have answers to all these questions, don’t waste your time and start your Office 365 migration.
Manual methods to migrate in Office 365
Multiple manual methods that can be used to migrate in Office 365 such as Hybrid, Staged, and Cutover, etc. Here we will describe the Cutover Migration method. It is a process that must be completed in one go. Microsoft too recommends that; although cutover allows migration of up to 2000 mailboxes only, it is recommended not to exceed 150 for better stability and to reduce the risk of many undesired errors.
Step-by-step Office 365 migration plan usingCutover Migration method:
- Firstly, ensure your source system is up to date with all service packs.
- Secondly, enable Outlook anywhere to allow for remote connection to the Exchange Server (on-premises).
- Make sure that your administrator’s account has full access to all mailboxes.
- Add an SSL certificate with Outlook anywhere included Autodiscover services.
- Check that you can connect to your Exchange organization using Outlook anywhere (Optional).
- Disable Unified Messaging before the migration and turn it on after the migration.
- If you have security groups to migrate, then create them in Office 365 as well.
- Create Migration Endpoint (Note: A single Endpoint can handle up to 100 concurrent mailboxes migration).
- Create the migration batch containing every single mailbox, which you want to migrate.
- After the data transfer gets finished as well as the TTL passes, change the DNS MX record. (It may take up to 72 hours to change DNS records).
- Delete the migration batch.
- Assign the licenses to the migrated accounts within 30 days to prevent users’ accounts from being disabled.
There is no question that the migration of Office 365 is like a walk on eggshells. Luckily there are multiple third-party tools in the market, which come in handy to migrate to Office 365. We suggest using Shoviv Exchange Server Suite.
Shoviv Exchange Server Suite
It is an automated and powerful desktop application recommended by Microsoft MVPs and many professionals. Shoviv Exchange Server Suite can move emails, contacts, contacts, et cetera to Office 365. Users can also recover corrupted EDB/OST/PST files and export them into Office 365. Besides this, users can migrate from Outlook profile store and Exchange Server to Office 365. The software keeps multiple features and a convenient GUI that make the software easy to use even for novice users.
Features of Shoviv Exchange Server Suite:
- It allows users to recover corrupted EDB, OST, as well as PST files.
- Users can migrate Exchange Server, Outlook Profile store, PST files, OST files, and EDB files to Office 365.
- It displays a preview of the added source items before the migration that comes in handy to get assured about data.
- The software allows users to migrate the Archive mailbox and Public folder into Office 365.
- It provides a folder mapping feature to export data from one folder to another folder. (One can also create a new folder in the target mailbox).
- The software keeps a search option that comes in handy in finding a specific item.
- It has a filter option to migrate only desired items in multiple file formats.
- Users can save added source items in multiple file formats.
- Users can backup Office 365 into PST format with an incremental backup option.
- It comes with a free trial version that allows the processing of the first 50 items per folder.
Step by Step Process to use Shoviv Exchange Server Suite:
- Firstly, install and launch Shoviv Exchange Server Suite.
- Secondly, click on the Add source option from the ribbon bar.
- Add source mailbox/files and click on the Finish button.
- Now click on the Office 365 option from the ribbon bar under Export multiple group.
- A check/un-check wizard gets open, check/un-check the subfolders, and click on the Next.
- Now a new wizard will open, provide the Office 365 credentials in which you want to export the data. After that, click on the Finish button.
- Now select Mailboxes you want to migrate also map them, and click on the Next button.
- A filter wizard will open. The filter wizard provides an include/exclude message class and item date range basis for filtering. Use the filter option according to your need. Click on the Advance option to use advanced features. Once you are done with the advance option, click Ok and then click the Next button.
- Now the software will start the migration process and provides you a complete log report of the process.
- At last, click the Finish button.
In this Office 365 migration plan, we have described the Cutover migration method (Manual method) and Shoviv Exchange Server Suite (Professional tool) along with their step-by-step process. In the end, it depends on you what you choose. We suggest downloading and use the free trial version before investing time and money in the random method. The free trial version of Shoviv Exchange Server Suite allows the processing of the first 50 items per folder.