If you use Outlook, you should understand the importance of PST files. The ability to properly handle PST files is one of the most basic skills that any Outlook user should have. As the PST file is prone to corruption, you should always consider taking back up your Outlook emails and other data. In this article, we will guide you on how to backup Outlook emails.
Your email account most likely contains a lot of important information, and it’s not just mail that could be lost. If something goes wrong, you could lose your contacts, important email attachments, and even calendar dates. Before looking for a solution to backup Outlook emails, you should first learn about MS Outlook.
What are MS Outlook and the reasons behind taking backup of Outlook emails?
Microsoft Outlook is a personal information manager developed by Microsoft that gets released in 1997. It was later included in the Microsoft Office suite and primarily serves as an email client. One of the most significant benefits of using MS Outlook is that it can get used as a standalone application and a multi-user software.
Individuals and organizations that require shared features such as a mailbox, calendar, and appointments can use it as an email client-server. Microsoft does faces data loss issues as others. Other causes of service outages include natural disasters, hardware failure, network issues, and human error. In various situations, taking backups is always a good idea.
Why backup files are so important?
Email backups allow you to keep your inbox clean and folders sparse while still ensuring that you have older data to dig into if necessary. Regularly backing up your emails ensures that you will not lose data in the event of a big problem; however, because Outlook is typically managed centrally on a server infrastructure, your IT staff should ideally have a full-server backup.
Now we will turn upon looking for the best way to backup Outlook emails.
Generally, there are two options for taking Outlook emails backup either user can take backup through manual methods or professional third-party software. If we talk about the manual approach, it is not easy. On the other hand, the third-party tool is quite effective and easy to use.
If you use Outlook as a separate application, all of your emails and other mailbox data get saved in a PST file. It simply makes a copy of your entire PST file, including the default items, to create an Outlook backup file. And, if the original PST file becomes corrupted or lost for any reason, the user can use this backup to restore their Outlook emails and other mailbox data. Now, take a look at the different solutions about how to take Outlook emails backup.
Apart from Outlook 2010 and the web service, which use slightly different systems, most versions of Microsoft Outlook include an option to export everything to a file, and there is a standard set of steps you can follow. It will generate an Outlook PST file so that you can save it to your online backup or an external drive.
- Firstly, click the File button in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu on the left side of the window, select “open & export.” You can skip this step if you are using an older version of Outlook than 2013.
- To open the import-and-export wizard, click the “Import/Export” button.
- Select “Export to a file” and then click “next” in the import-and-export wizard.
- To start, select “Outlook data file (PST)” and the folder or account to backup. Then browse the location where to save the PST file and click on the Finish button.
- After clicking “Finish,” you can apply the password to the resultant PST file.
- At last, go to the backup folder and double-check that it’s still there.
Alternative Methods to backup Outlook emails
Although creating a PST file with Microsoft tools is simple, it gets only used to back up an entire folder, and you cannot access the emails individually. Luckily, you have two other options to save individual emails that you can access at any time.
Another method for backing up Outlook data is to use the Drag-and-Drop method. The drag and drop method is a quick way for taking backup of a few emails in Outlook.
- This method requires you to have both Outlook and Windows File Explorer open.
- Secondly, you need to select the email that you want to backup. Hold down the “control” key to select multiple emails.
- Then, Drag and drop the emails you want to keep into the folder where you want them to go.
You can also use the “save as” command to backup Outlook emails.
- Now, choose the email you want to save, then click the “file” button in the upper-left corner.
- To open the “save as” window, select “save as” from the list on the left.
- Navigate to the location where you want to save the backup and press the “save” button.
- Now, you can check the location of the file.
The manual method is not easy to perform as it requires deep technical knowledge and requires a lot of time. To avoid the lengthy steps, the user can search for the third-party Outlook backup software.
For this, we have one of the finest and reliable software to backup Outlook emails named Shoviv Outlook Suite. Not only this makes the backup process smoother but puts some cushion on the time frame. Now we will see the most prominent and best features of this tool.
Perfect Solution for taking backup of MS Outlook data
Shoviv Outlook Suite is a multi-purpose application that aids in the timely completion of various Outlook tasks. It lets you recover and restore corrupt and non-corrupt OST/PST files without changing their properties and makes it possible for the users to take Outlook backup and export them to a live exchange server, Office 365, or Outlook profile store. Besides this, it has many user-friendly features that many third-party tools do not.
- Users can add and recover multiple OST and PST files, even if your file becomes corrupted.
- This tool gives you the features to remove duplicate PST files.
- Any user needs to review the file before starting any process; this tool also displays a preview of the selected items to ensure that unwanted file items do not go into the process.
- This tool comes out to be the secured and reliable software to backup Outlook emails in the market.
- Using this tool, users can Repair, Recover, Split & Merge, and Compact & Compress the PST file.
- It is 100% secure, and the software trial version is available to download; through the demo version, the users can process the first 50 items/folder.
In this blog, we discussed how to backup Outlook emails and have gone through different alternatives. The user can choose to opt for any of the discussed methods. The user must keep in mind that the manual approach is quite hard to execute and that the user should have sufficiently technically skilled to carry out the backup task smoothly. So, regardless of the manual method used, keep this in mind.
On the other hand, we have gone through a discussion about the professional tool. Shoviv Outlook Suite comes out to be the most reliable tool, as it is compatible with all Microsoft Exchange Server and Outlook versions. The option to take the incremental backup of Outlook data is also part of the tool. If the backup process gets interrupted, the incremental backup features come into play as it resumes the process from where it gets stopped.