Nowadays, many of the organizations are planning to give upon Exchange Server 2013 and shift to Microsoft Office 365. Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud-based software that provides various services such as Hosted exchange server, Skype for Business server and Share points. Microsoft Office 365 also provides a facility of automatic updates. Migrating from the Exchange 2013 to Office 365 requires systematic planning and careful implementation. Now, start discussing the various methods to migrate exchange 2013 to Office 365.
Download a trial version of Shoviv Exchange Server Suite to know in a better way.
There are 5 types of migration method are available for migration of mailboxes from Exchange 2013 to Office 365.
- Cutover migration
- Hybrid migration
- Staged migration
- IMAP migration
- Shoviv Exchange Server Suite
Now, discussing with the migration methods sequentially.
This manual migration method involves the migration of only less than 2000 mailboxes. IT administrators generally perform through the migration dashboard in EAC (exchange administration center). The Cutover migration is not suitable for large businesses, followed by only small organizations. After exceeding the limit, it takes much time and makes the processing slow. Hence, it fails to migrate into Office 365.
Hybrid migration maintains both online premises and online mailboxes. In this method, there is no need to create a new mailbox and import information. The users can easily transfer the existing mailbox between the exchange server and exchange online. It is considered a smooth process, but in case if the user skips any of the steps then, the process gets fails. It is considered as a very time-consuming process.
Another manual method, Staged migration allows the migration of a large number of mailboxes i.e. greater than 2000. It maintains both online premises and online mailbox. A staged migration is considered to be the best option for both medium and large size organizations. A Staged migration only works with exchange 2003 and exchange 2007. If in case you have an exchange server 2003 or 2007, then Staged migration is the optimum solution. The Staged migration takes several days to complete the task, which mainly depends upon the volume of content and the number of the mailbox to be migrated.
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) fails to migrate anything other than email and message. IMAP migration is considered to be a long and slow process. Because it takes time to mailboxes for every user on Office 365 and then migrates their emails. If there is a need to migrate mail from the non-exchange server platform to Office 365, then the IMAP method is the finest option for migrating. The only drawback of IMAP migration is that it can only migrate inbox items or email folder. It fails to migrate contacts, calendars, etc.
Shoviv Exchange Server Suite
The Shoviv Exchange Server Suite is the best option for migrating Exchange 2013 to Office 365. It is a very fast automated and easy to use the tool. This tool offers the users; either to select and migrate a single or the multiple numbers of mailboxes and export it into Office 365. The Shoviv Exchange Server Suite results successfully in exporting the mailbox as well as its content. This automated software is highly recommendable as it supports all versions of the exchange server. During the exporting process, one can also use the filter options by which users can filter items as per the requirement.
Now, let’s start working with the Exchange migration tool.
- Download and install the Exchange Server Suite software on your System. Open the software.
- Click on add source button from the menu bar.
- Select “Exchange server mailboxes” and fill the required information such as Domain name, User name, and password. You can also select Outlook Profile if the Software is not able to configure the given user with Outlook. Click on the next.
- Now, the mailboxes selection page will open. Select the mailboxes from the mailbox list. Apart from this, any of the mailboxes missing in the list, in that situation you can add the mailboxes by entering the user’s email either also choose an export list to CSV. Then, click on the finish button to continue the process.
- Users can easily view the content list by selecting the mailbox.
- After that, click on the desired mailbox and select the option Export multiple mailboxes in Office 365>>Office 365 mailboxes.
- Select the folder from the folder list. Check/uncheck for the subfolders. You can also select the overall hierarchy or select the particular mailboxes of your choice. There is also another option custom folder selection. In this, you can either select the particular mailbox or selecting the specific folders. Then, click on Next.
- Now, you have two options to retrieve Mailboxes from Target, One is using Outlook Profile and another is Using Office 365 credentials. Select the “Retrieve All Mailboxes from Office 365” option to retrieve all mailboxes from Office 365. In this, you have to enter the user email, password and grant full access rights of all mailboxes to a given user. In case, if you want to choose the Outlook profile which is already configured then, check/uncheck for the below option. Click on the Next button. Wait for fetching mailboxes through Office 365 credentials.
- After this, another step is to start mapping the source mailbox to the target mailbox. By map mailbox option you can set the source mailbox to target mailbox. On the right side, there is also an option to validate the target. It checks whether the software is capable to connect to the target mailbox. (Validate option is not mandatory)after mapping click on the next button to continue the process.
- Apply the filter option either by process message class or process item date range. In process message class, you can set the filter option by including/excluding the select message class. Also, there is another option to set the process item date criteria. Where you have to set the date range in between “From” to “To”. Then, check/uncheck for the below option to export duplicate items and then, click on the Next button.
- Here, the process gets completed successfully. In the end, one can also save the report. Then, click on the finish button.
By going through the above process, one can easily understand; Shoviv Exchange Server Suite is the best professional way by which one can migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365.