Nowadays, many organizations are planning to move from Exchange Server 2013 to Office 365. Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud-based software that provides various services. These services include Hosted exchange server, Skype for Business Server, and SharePoint. Microsoft Office 365 also provides a facility for automatic updates. Migrating from Exchange 2013 to Office 365 needs proper planning and execution. Now, start discussing the various methods to migrate exchange 2013 to Office 365.
Download a trial version of Shoviv Exchange Server Suite to know in a better way.
Five types of migration methods to migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2013 to Office 365:
- Cutover migration.
- Hybrid migration.
- Staged migration.
- IMAP migration.
- Shoviv Exchange Server Suite.
Now, we will discuss the migration methods sequentially.
This manual method allows the migration of fewer than 2000 mailboxes. Small organizations follow the Cutover migration. After exceeding the limit, it takes much time and makes the processing slow. Hence, it fails to migrate into Office 365.
Hybrid migration maintains both online premises and online mailboxes. In this method, there is no need to create a new mailbox and import information. The users can transfer the existing mailbox between the exchange server and exchange online. It is considered a smooth process, but if the user skips any of the steps, it fails. The approach mentioned above is very time-consuming.
Another manual method, Staged migration, allows the migration of numerous mailboxes, i.e., greater than 2000. It maintains both online premises and online mailboxes. It is one of the most suited options for both medium and large-size organizations. A Staged migration only works with exchange 2003 and exchange 2007. If you have an Exchange Server 2003 or 2007, then Staged migration is the optimum solution. The Staged migration takes several days to complete the task. It depends upon the volume of content and the mailbox number.
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) fails to migrate anything other than email and message. IMAP migration is a long and slow process compared to other methods mentioned in this article. It can only migrate emails that are up to 35 MB in size and 500,000 items per mailbox. The IMAP method is preferable to migrate from the non-exchange server platform to Office 365. The only drawback of this method is, it can only migrate inbox items or email folders. It fails to migrate contacts, calendars, etc.
Shoviv Exchange Server Suite
The Shoviv Exchange Server Suite is the best option for migrating Exchange 2013 to Office 365. It is a fast and easy-to-use automated tool. This tool allows users either to migrate single or multiple mailboxes into Office 365. The Shoviv Exchange Server Suite successfully results in exporting the mailbox as well as its content. This automated Software is highly recommendable as it supports all versions of the exchange server. During the exporting process, one can also use the filter option to filter items as per need.
Now, let’s start working with the Exchange migration tool.
- Firstly, Download and install the Exchange Server Suite software on your System. Open the Software.
- Secondly, Click on add source button from the menu bar.
- Select “Exchange server mailboxes.” Then, fill in the required information (Domain name, User name, and password). You can also select Outlook Profile if the Software cannot configure the given user with Outlook. Click on the Next.
- Now, the mailboxes selection page will open. Select the mailboxes from the mailbox list. Some of the mailboxes might be missing from the list. In that case, add the mailboxes by entering the user’s email and choosing a CSV file. Then, click on the finish button.
- Users can easily view the content list by selecting the mailbox.
- Now, click on the desired mailbox. Then, select the Office 365 mailboxes option from the ribbon bar.
- Select the folders from the folder list. Check/uncheck for the subfolders. Also, you can select the particular mailboxes of your choice. There is also a custom folder selection option to choose the specific mailbox or folders. Then, click on Next.
- Now, you have two options to fetch Mailboxes from Target. One is using Outlook Profile, and another is by providing Office 365 credentials. Select the “Fetch All Mailboxes from Office 365” option. In this, you have to enter the user email, password. And grant full access rights of all mailboxes to a given user. If you want to choose the already configured Outlook profile, check/uncheck for the below option. Click on the Next button. Wait for fetching mailboxes through Office 365 credentials.
- After this, another step is to start mapping the source mailbox to the target mailbox. With the map mailbox option, you can set the source mailbox the target mailbox. On the right side, there is also an option to validate the target. It checks whether the Software is capable of connecting to the target mailbox. After mapping, click on the next button to continue the process.
- Apply the filter option on the process message class or process item date range. In the process message class, you can set the filter option by including/excluding the select message class. Also, there is another option to set the process item date criteria. Where you have to select the date range in between “From” to “To.” Then, check/uncheck the below option to exclude duplicate items and click on the Next button.
- Here, the process gets completed successfully. In the end, one can also save the report. Then, click on the finish button.
By going through the above process, you can understand the Shoviv Exchange Server Suite. It is the best professional way to migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365.