Nowadays, it is coming to see that users are practising Exchange 2016 to Office 365 in a large manner. Many factors are initiating users to do this. Here, in this article, we will know about the different factors and methods of Exchange 2016 to Office 365 migration.
Download a trial version of Shoviv Exchange Migration to know in a better way.
Why Migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365?
Change for the better is the all-time idea behind the migration. In respect to Exchange, Office 365 is more user-centric. Below are the reasons for the why:
- Office 365 is cost-effective than Exchange, here you do not need to maintain anything else. Users just have to invest in the Office 365 subscription and get all features on your side. No hassle of updating the latest version in Office 365. Everything happens automatically and smoothly.
- With Office 365 features like Skype for Business, Hosted Exchange Server and Share Points are complementary and also they are very handy.
- Office 365 is easier to manage and having user-friendly functionalities.
- Having data at Microsoft data centre assures users about data security. Users can escape out from the data theft and data loss scenario.
Ways to Migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365:
Exchange 2016 to Office 365 Migration can be done by various methods. For this, manual as well as third- party solution, both are available. Let’s know about them:
- Cutover Migration Method:
- Staged migration Method
- Hybrid Migration Method
- Third-party Solution (Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool)
Cutover Migration (manual way)
This method supports Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013. The cutover migration is suitable only when you have to migrate less than 2,000 mailboxes. Before proceeding for the cutover migration ensure that server hosting the Exchange Server has been updated. Users can perform Cutover Migration from the migration dashboard in Exchange Admin Centre.
Staged Migration Method (manual way):
This method supports only Exchange 2003 and 2007. This is suitable for the users who want to create permanent mail to coexist along with the on-premises environments and Exchange online. Staged Migration is recommended when there are more than 2000 mailboxes. A staged migration is appropriate for medium-sized enterprises.
Hybrid Migration (manual way):
This Method Supports Exchange 2010 and 2013. To migrate 150-2000 mailboxes in small batches, it is a suitable method. In the hybrid method, there is no need to create new user mailboxes and to import information. It is considered easy to do the process but any little mistake can lead to failure.
Drawbacks of Manual Method
- Manual methods do not support all the Exchange versions.
- A lot of time consumes processing manual methods and it is very tedious to do.
- It asks for the techy-hands. Exchange admin must be aware of the mailbox migration.
- Chances of human error; any mistake can lead to data loss.
- Manual Methods are size-restricted, doesn’t allow to migrate a large number of mailboxes in one go.
Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool (Third-Party Tool):
The Software provides a professional way for Exchange 2016 to Office 365 migration. It provides many user-centric features like:
- It allows migrating the multiple numbers of mailboxes in an instant with the ease. There is no restriction in the size limit of source mailboxes.
- The software can sleekly migrate source mailboxes such as EDB file, Office 365 mailboxes, Outlook Stores, Live Exchange Mailboxes, etc. into Office 365, Outlook PST and Live Exchange (On-premises).
- Also, it can migrate Office 365 Public folders/Live Exchange, Archive mailboxes into another Office 365 Public folders/Live Exchange, Archive mailboxes.
- It also offers the Filter option which filters on the basis of message class and Item date, Search option to search various source mailboxes with the target and allows the saving source mailboxes into various formats like HTML, EML, MSG, RTF, vCard etcetera.
- There is also a folder mapping option within the software which allows to map target mailbox with the source mailbox.
- Shoviv Exchange Migration tool properly maintains the folder hierarchy and maintains the data integrity.
For Exchange 2016 to Office 365 migration, users are very lean due to the various reasons described above. To migrate Exchange 2016 to Office 365 we have manual methods like Cutover Migration, Hybrid migration and Staged migration as well as third -party professional tool. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool is the most suitable software for this as it comes with a number of user-friendly features and provides an easy to do processing with the handy GUI. To check its working efficiency and features, a free demo/trial version of the software is also available which allows migration of the first 50 items per folder.