Office 365 is Microsoft’s cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) that comes with numerous user-oriented services like Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Skype for business etcetera. Here, the question arises, if Office 365 is so mush user-oriented then why to backup Office 365 and how to take Office 365 backup?
Because Office 365 does not provide the backup of data in the local disk, and several reasons are there that initiating users to backup Office 365 mailboxes in PST. .pst file is the most suitable to take the backup of Office 365 mailboxes because it can be open in any Outlook version and can be previewed. Let’s know about all comprehensively:
Why to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes?
- Commonly to reduce the mailbox size, Office 365 backup is carried out. The user can save the archive mailbox to the local disk and can work as per the need.
- Being a cloud-based service the data of Office 365 mailbox remains universally accessible and there is always chances of unauthorized access and hacking.
- In case of accidental deletion of data or data loss by anyway, to retrieve the data, it will be a boon if you have a backup of Office 365 mailboxes.
Download a trial version of Shoviv Office 365 Backup to know in a better way.
How to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes to PST?
To backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST, there are two ways: manual method and Professional third-party tool. Manually by the E-discovery method users can Backup Office 365 mailbox to PST. The manual method comes free but also comes with limitations. Firstly we will know about the manual method.
Steps to Manually Backup Office 365 to PST:
Step 1: Login to Office 365 with the administrator credentials.
Step 2: Go to Admin>Exchange
Step 3: From the left pane, click on the permissions after that move to Admin Roles>> Discovery management.
Step 4: Click on the (+) sign to add roles.
Step 5: Click on the “Mailbox Import/Export” below the roles.
Step 6: Click on the (+) sign which is under “members” and once click on the name of the user.
Step 7: Click on the Save when all essential steps are done.
Step 8: Follow “Compliance Management>>in place eDiscovery and hold” and click on the New button.
Step 9: Type the name and click on the Next
Step 10: Now click on “Search all mailboxes” to choose all mailboxes or the selected ones by “Specify Mailboxes to Search” option and adding the (+).
Step 11: Apply the filter and click on the Next button of the “Search Query” screen.
Step 12:“In-Place Hold Setting” dialogue will open, here you can specify the number of days till when the items will be kept before they delete from the server.
Step 13: Click on the “Finish”
Step 14: After getting the confirmation message, click on the “Close” button.
Step 15: After the completion of the process all generated search will be get listed. Click on the download arrow to export the .pst files.
Limitations of Manual Method:
- The manual Method comes with very tedious and time-consuming processing.
- The manual method fails in having the backup of selective data such as emails, contact or calendars.
- It asks for prior technical knowledge before processing the manual method. It is not suitable for novice users.
- There are high chances of data alteration, no guarantee of the accurate and full backup.
Backup Office 365 with the Professional third-party solution:
Not any organization want to risk the data and nor have extra time for the manual backup. Thus for the perfect and accurate Office 365 Backup, a Professional third-party tool is a must. Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software is the most suitable tool to backup Office 365 mailbox in PST file. Shoviv Software comes with a user-friendly GUI and it is embedded with the number of user-centric features. For the simple, fast and accurate backup, it is a perfect solution. Have a look, what it facilitates:
- Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore smoothly backups the Office 365 mailboxes into PST format, due to its user-friendly GUI, running it is an easy task and any novice user can easily perform this.
- It provides the complete backup of User Mailboxes, Archive Mailboxes, and Public Folder, etc.
- Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software provides the option for Periodic Scheduled Backup Jobs. Users can choose options like Daily, Weekly or Monthly. By this option, the user will get rid of remembering the timely backup.
- The software provides an effective filter option based on “Date” and “Items”. By this user can get rid of the unwanted data.
- An Advanced option for the full and incremental backup is also facilitated in the Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software. It comes handy when the user takes backup again and then only increased data from last will be backed up. It prevents the duplicity of the data.
- It proceeds with the Job-based backup process, there is no need to create connection all time, and a one-time connection is enough to run jobs.
- The software easily works concurrently and it can smoothly run multiple jobs at a time and can restore multiple mailboxes to Office 365.
- Option to restore the backup file to Office 365 Mailboxes is also given. If the user just wants to read emails then there is no need to go through the restoring process.
- In the end, the software also generates the status report of the full process. Here, you can also save the report for future references.
How Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Works?
Running Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software is very easy to do the task because it comes with the user-friendly GUI. Below are the steps to take the backup of Office 365 Mailboxes in PST.
Step 1: Install and Launch the Software.
Step2: Now you have to create a project to connect Office 365 user mailboxes and fetch the users’ mailbox list by clicking on the connect button of the Connect Office 365 tab.
Step3: Now a dialog box will appear, enter the asked details of Office 365 admin user and click the Connect. Step 4: Click on the Add icon from the Backup Directory Tab and create a new backup directory to store the backup data of Office 365 mailboxes.
Step 5: Now provide the name of the directory and browse the directory/folder path where you want to store the backup files of Office 365 mailboxes.
Step6: Create a new backup job by clicking on the Add button of the description toolbar of the Backup Jobs Tab. With this, a new dialog box will open, here provide the asked details. Click the Next.
Step 7: a new wizard will open, here the user can select the mailboxes of which backup is needed. Also, the option to choose whether the user wants a backup of general mailboxes or archive mailboxes or both. Click the Next.
Step 8: Filter page will open, three filter options are provided: Message Class, Date Range, and Folder Filter. Apply filter as per the need and click the Next.
Step 9: You will be prompted to setting dialog, Set Backup thread counts for mailbox and Items. In case of network failure option to select attempts for Office 365 connection and Other MAPI connection is also given. Here, the user can also provide the size after which PST file will split.
Step 10: Now the user will be prompted to the next window, where 2 options will be available. One is for immediate process and another for applying scheduler. Here user can set a Starting date, Ending date, Frequency, Duration, and occurrence like Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Once Only.
Step 11: Now you will be prompted to Status Page, here the status of the created backup job will be displayed. If the user is satisfied with the report then can click on Finish or if not satisfied, can edit by going back.
Step 12: With the click on the Finish button, the final mailbox backup report will be displayed. And this is how users can proficiently take Office 365 Backup by Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore.
Because of various reasons, there is a need to backup Office 365 Mailboxes. Usually to reduce Office 365 mailbox size or to secure data from the unethical hacking, need rises. To do this, there are manual methods as well as a professional third-party tool. Manual methods like E-discovery fails to provide a genuine and user-friendly way to backup Office 365 mailboxes, there are many drawbacks with the manual method. For the simple and perfect Office 365 backup, a professional advanced software; Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore is a must. It has all the looked for features required for a professional Office 365 Backup. Users can also check its work efficiency by downloading a free trial /demo version of the software that allows processing the first 50 items per folder.