With the release of Exchange 2019 in October 2018, the market trend to migrate Exchange 2016 to 2019 is continuing; it is good to be up-to-date. Exchange 2019 is not much changed from Exchange 2016, but some of the features, especially the upgraded security feature, are different and advanced from the last one. However, it is not everyone’s cup of tea to upgrade Exchange 2016 to Exchange 2019 as it asks for technical hands and consists of risk of data loss.
This blog moves around the reasons and ways for Exchange 2016 to 2019 migration. Let’s start with the reasons.
Why should you upgrade Exchange 2016 to 2019?
- Being the latest version of the Exchange, it is the safest and most advanced version so far.
- The meeting request forwarding feature and control of Out –Office setting have improved from the last ones.
- It supports email address internationalization. I.e., email addresses can contain special characters specific to a particular language.
In Exchange 2019, Calendar Management is improved from the last one.
Download a trial version of Shoviv Exchange Migration to know in a better way.
Manual way to Migrate Exchange 2016 to 2019:
- Open the Exchange Admin Centre, follow Recipients>>Migration, click on the Add+, and choose Move to a different database.
- New Local mailbox move wizard will open. Here add the mailboxes to migrate and provide the essential details.
- The move Configuration page will open. Here provide the new batch name, and also select the Exchange Server 2019 database as the destination. Click Next.
- Now Start the batch page will open, configure the migration setting as per the requirements and click Next.
- By this, batch Migration will start, and you can see its status as “Scheduled.” The status will change to ‘Complete” after the successful migration.
- Instead of using Exchange Admin Centre for Exchange 2016 to 2019 migration, you can also use the Exchange Management Shell Command to migrate mailboxes, audit log mailboxes, arbitrary mailboxes, and monitoring mailboxes.
- After successfully migrating the entire database, you can delete the Exchange database by the given command.
Identity “Databasename”| Remove- MailboxDatabase
- Once you upgrade Exchange 2016 to 2019, you can uninstall Exchange Server 2016 by using the given command:
“C;\Program Files\ Microsoft\Exchange Server\V 15 \Bin setup.exe/mode:uninstall
Limitations of Manual Method:
- It is a very tedious and time-consuming way to migrate Exchange 2016 to 2019 if you go manually.
- Doer should be a technical expert in Exchange. For novice users, it is an Everest winning task.
- Also, there are chances of human error, which can lead to data loss.
- There will be a long downtime during manual migration, and you will be unable to utilize your mailbox on the server.
Professional Tool to Migrate Exchange 2016 to 2019:
A professional third-party tool is a must for the easy and accurate Exchange 2016 to 2019 migration. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool is a perfect professional tool for this, and it is a powerful multitasking solution that is embedded with numerous user-centric features. We recommend installing the free Exchange Migration tool version and evaluating its skills and capabilities. The process goes as follows:
Hastily process to upgrade Exchange 2016 to 2019
- Step1: Open the Exchange Migration tool in your system.
- Step2: Click on the Add Source and add your Live Exchange 2016 mailboxes. Use admin credentials to add multiple mailboxes.
- Step3: Then click the Live Exchange option from the ribbon bar and choose folders/subfolders.
- Step4: Provide Exchange 2019 credentials and map Exchange 2016 mailboxes with the Exchange 2019 mailboxes.
- Step5: Following, use the filter option to include/exclude message class and date range emails. (For the Email translation and folder mapping option, click on the Advance option).
- Step6: Now, the software will start Exchange 2016 to 2019 migration and display a live log report.
So it is an easy process to migrate Exchange 2016 to 2019. Apart from its easy process, the software offers every feature required to make the migration effective.
Characteristics of the Shoviv Exchange Migration tool
- The Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool allows the quick migration of source mailboxes like EDB files, Outlook Stores, Office 365 mailboxes, Live Exchange mailboxes into Live Exchange (on-premises), Outlook PST files, and Office 365.
- The software can also migrate the Live Exchange/Office 365 public folder and Archive mailboxes into Office 365/Live Exchange shared folder and Archive Mailbox.
- There is no restriction on size limit; you can add and migrate multiple numbers of mailboxes up to the maximum possible size in one go.
- Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool properly maintains the folder hierarchy and maintains data integrity. Hence all your data will remain untouched and unaltered.
- During the upgrade, a process interruption is the worst scenario, as interruption can make your mailboxes corrupt or inaccessible. But with the Shoviv Exchange migration tool, you can quickly resume the interrupted process.
- The software allows users to preview added Exchange mailbox data before the upgrade to ensure the data accuracy and decide which items to include/exclude for the migration.
Migration toward the latest and upgraded one is obvious. Exchange 2016 to 2019 migration is for the same. For accurate migration with facilities, the manual method is not preferred. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool is a professional tool and is best suitable for professional results. It provides an easy way to upgrade Exchange 2016 to 2019. The free trial/demo version of the software is also available to check its processing, which allows the migration of the first 50 items per folder.