Last updated on May 18th, 2023
Exchange On-Premises and Office 365 have large user bases, but users also migrate between them depending on their requirements. Office 365/Microsoft 365 is a cloud-based software service offering users a one-stop solution. Users are showing a keen interest in Office 365 hence migrating from the existing platform to Office 365, and Exchange users are not an exception. If you are an Exchange On-Premises user and want to do Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration, then you have landed on the right post.
In this blog, I am sharing all the details of this task, along with an advanced solution. Read the blog till the end and get a complete solution.
Before moving towards the how, firstly, it is good to understand why, hence, let’s start with some common reasons that initiate users for On-Premise Exchange to Office 365/Microsoft 365 migration.
Some probable reasons for Exchange On-Premise to Microsoft 365 migration:
- One-stop solution: Office 365 offers a bundle of products like Skype, Outlook.com, Teams, OneDrive, Yammer, and SharePoint, like many user-centric products, in a single subscription.
- All-time accessibility: Office 365, a cloud-based software as a service, offers all-time accessibility from anywhere at any time. This mobility is also a big reason behind users’ Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration.
- Pricing: On-Premise Exchange asks for the hardware setup, while with Office 365, users save cost using it as there is no requirement for hardware setup.
- No downtime: Office 365 always remains updated; hence there is no such downtime.
- Never-ending support: Like On-Premises Exchange Server, Office 365 never goes old. I.e., the technical support and update for Exchange 2010 were closed in October 2020, while Exchange 2013 is proposed in 2023. It is also a common reason for Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration.
What are the possible ways for On-Premise Exchange to Office 365 migration?
For the On-Premises Exchange to Exchange Online migration, users have two methodologies: trying the traditional manual methods or using an advanced third-party tool.
In this write-up, we will learn about all the available manual ways and a professional solution. Manually we have a few methods that are described below, along with professional utility:
- Staged Migration: In this manual migration, data migrate from source to target in two or more stages. This way allows users to migrate 2000+ mailboxes. It is best suited for small and mid-size companies. But, it is not compatible with all the Exchange versions. Staged migration works for only Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007.
- Cutover Migration: Cutover migration method works only for mailboxes less than 2,000. This method works only for the Exchange 2013 and lower versions. It doesn’t work for all Exchange versions. Users can dive deep into this method by visiting this link.
- Hybrid Migration: For the Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration, hybrid migration provides a way to synchronize both environments. But, this method also not works for all Exchange versions; it works only for Exchange 2010 and later versions. Explore this method in more detail by visiting this link.
- Professional method: All three manual methods explained above provide a way but not a satisfactory way. Manual ways ask for technical hands and also consumes a lot of time without any guaranteed result. For the professional On-Premise Exchange to Office 365 migration, Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool facilitates a featureful and user-friendly way. Below, I have explained Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool holistically for the On-Premises Exchange to Exchange Online migration.
Why Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool is professional’s first choice?
Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 migration tool, aka Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager Tool, is the first choice of users for various reasons. It is developed by keeping the users’ needs at the center of the development process. It comes with the easy to understand processing and offers a user-friendly GUI for the Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration. Here is a glance at the features that make it the best professional utility.
- This facility allows adding EDB File, Exchange Server Mailboxes, Office 365 Mailboxes, Exchange Server Single Store, and Office 365 Single Store and Outlook profile Store as the source.
- For target, it offers Microsoft 365, Live Exchange, and Outlook PST options to migrate email data from the source. Also, users can opt for EML, HTML, RTF vCal, vCard, and MSG file formats as the target.
- This tool is also proficient in recovering inaccessible (corrupted or deleted) EDB files.
- An advanced option of incremental export is also given within the tool. This feature allows users to resume the process from the last stop. It also prevents duplicity in the target.
- This Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 Migration Tool also facilitates the facility to search and filter items.
- If you are exporting data from source to PST file format, you can set the size for the resultant PST file.
Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration using Shoviv software:
With Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 migration tool, users can easily execute their tasks. Here, On-Premise Exchange to Office 365 migration step-by-step processing is explained. Follow the below-given steps:
- Firstly install and launch the Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 migration tool, aka Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager.
- Now click on the Add Source button on the ribbon bar and select the Exchange Server Mailboxes as the source. Provide details like User Name, Password, and Domain Name or IP, and click Next.
- Here, you will get a complete list of the mailboxes; check the mailboxes to confirm and click on Finish.
- Now you can find the mailbox data under the source list. Now select Office 365 as the target from the ribbon bar, or you can select the target by making a right click.
- To connect with Office 365 and fetch mailboxes, use the “Fetch all Mailboxes from Outlook Profile” option. Click on the Next.
- Once the connection is established, you must map and validate the source and target mailboxes. After the validation, click on Next.
- Apply the filter based on Message Class and Message date if needed. Here is an option “ Export All Items”; check if you are processing for the first time; after that, uncheck it if you want to resume the process and do not want to have already migrated items.
- An option “Advance option” is also available for the advanced settings. You can set item thread count, filter settings, email translation, and folder mapping for root folders. Click Ok.
- You can see the live log report, and you will receive a message when the process completes. At the end of the Exchange On-Premise to Office 365 migration process, you can also save the report for future reference.
In this write-up, we learned about On-Premises Exchange to Exchange Online migration. I included the manual ways with all its dimensions, and later, I explained Shoviv Exchange On-Premises to Office 365 migration tool. Shoviv’s utility offers advanced and user-friendly processing that speedily executes migration from Exchange On-Premise to Office 365. Shoviv Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool also offers a free trial version that allows you to migrate the first fifty items per folder. Download the demo version and have a trial of the tool.
- How to Migrate Google Drive to Another Account Effortlessly? - September 15, 2023
- How to Transfer Files from Google drive to OneDrive? - September 13, 2023
- How to Migrate Emails from ProtonMail to Gmail Effortlessly? - September 12, 2023