OST is an offline file used in the Outlook application to store the data of the email. This file is responsible for the offline use of the Outlook even when you are not connected to the internet. It allows users to view, modify and download email data and attachments.
You can easily read, delete, or save a new draft to your mailbox even when you are offline. It will sync with the server when the internet is working properly. It is very useful in places where the connectivity is limited or unreliable.
Well, these Outlook OST files get corrupted sometimes and render unreadable. It gets very frustrating for users when that happens; they need to take some solid steps to prevent it from happening. Today we are discussing the possible corruption in OST files and how to do OST Repair and Recovery.
Check-out another most visited blog: https://www.shoviv.com/blog/repair-corrupted-ost-file/
Let’s get started.
OST files get corrupted – Reasons
There could be various reasons why and how OST files gets corrupted and when it happens, the corruption leaves it completed unreadable. Here are some of the reasons why your OST file might get corrupted and need of OST Repair and Recovery arises.
- When offline OST file reaches its file size limit and auto-resize is not set, it becomes either corrupted or unreadable.
- Abrupt termination of the Outlook program can also render it dead.ss
- Third-party add on in the Outlook can also derive this behaviour in the file.
- Virus infection or a malfunction in the computer can also render it unreadable.
- The sudden power failure of the desktop PC will close the program abruptly and the file might get corrupted.
How to do Outlook OST Repair and Recovery:
As a user, you have a couple of options for Exchange OST files. There are many workarounds to OST file corruption and we will explain a couple of them in the following section of the article.
Follow this article step by step to get the best results.
Update the OST file from Exchange Server –Go on and update the OST file from the exchange server of your email service provider to fix corruption. But, let me warn you, this method does not work for most of the users, so you might have to resort to another. Anyway, here is how you can update the OST file from Exchange Server.
- Right-click on the OST file folder and select Properties, then hit on the Clear Offline items from the next dialog box.
- Hit OK to move forward and go to Outlook application.
- Click on the Send/Receive button from the ribbon of Outlook.
- Now, click on the Update Folder to save changes.
Check if the file is repaired or not, if not, then go ahead and follow the second method to repair the OST file.
Use the Built-In Outlook Utility –Outlook provides a tool to scan and fix errors in your OST files, use that to repair the OST files on your computer. Scanost.exe is the tool you need to be searching on your computer to repair or fix the errors.
- First, you must close the Outlook before starting the repair process.
- Now, search for Scanost.exe and open it by double-clicking on it.
- It will show you several Outlook accounts, select the one you want to repair and proceed.
- Then, click on the repair errors checkbox to fix the automatically after scanning. Click the Scan button after that to proceed with the repair process.
Since this utility is provided by the Microsoft team, it comes with a few limitations. You won’t be able to repair big OST files containing data worth of years. You need to be a tech expert to execute the task properly, without disquieting the data. Go for 3rd option for a proficient solution of OST Repair and Recovery.
Using a Third-Party Tool for OST Repair and Recovery:
If both of the above methods do not work for you, try using this one. Use a third-party OST Repair and Recovery Tool.
Let’s get started.
Today we are going to be using Shoviv Exchange OST Repair and Recovery for this. It is advanced software that repairs the corruption of OST files and converts them into new PST files. It will be a lot easier for you to work with the PST file.
- First of all, you must log on to the official website of Shoviv Software, download and install Exchange OST Recovery Tool.
- Then, open the tool and click on the Add OST file from the top ribbon of the window.
- Now, you can add or search for the OST file on your computer, browse for the file and hit the OK button after that.
- Now, wait for a few seconds for the tool to render the information presented on the file. You will be able to see the mailbox data in the window.
- Then, select the required file and Choose ‘Save all files in Outlook PST’ option.
- Now, you will see the option of choosing the subfolders and other things for custom filtering the data.
- Once, everything is set, click on the Next button to proceed.
- Then, you have to select Export and Create a New PST file option.
- Click on the Next button and wait for the process to get completed.
- Lastly, you will see the dialog box of process completion; you can save the report of the conversion process.
Using Shoviv OST to PST Converter Tool aka OST Repair and Recovery tool, You can execute your task easily; won’t feel any trouble when using the Shoviv converter.