Sometimes, you might have urgent need of converting EDB to PST and other related file formats to safeguard the data and file. When an exchange database file is not working properly on your computer, you would need to work on it or convert it to a more accessible file format. The PST file can easily be accessed via Outlook on any computer in the world. And the best part is that the location of PST files doesn’t matter that much, Outlook provides a feature to choose the file from the location of your desire.
Before exchange 2010 the user mailboxes were saved in storage groups which were easy to backup. But after exchange 2010 the storage groups were replaced with databases, which made it harder to keep backup. To solve this problem Microsoft recommended the users to convert their EDB files to PST.
EDB file is used to store the multiple mailboxes of the exchange server. And an exchange server can have multiple database files depending on the size. While PST is a container where mailboxes are stored used in Outlook. So, it is easier for us to access PST files these days than the EDB file.
Download a trial version of EDB to PST Converter to know how to do Archiving in Office 365.
What are the Reasons for this Conversion?
We can give you multiple reasons for the need for this kind of conversion process, some of them are listed here.
- It is very hard to recover a corrupted EDB file, the best bet is to convert it to PST.
- PST file also helps in reducing the size of the mailbox and improve performance.
- Small size files will help you in saving on infrastructure for storage.
- Want to keep a backup of the EDB file for safekeeping.
- Need a backup of specific emails from EDB file.
- Minimizing the risk of corruption in EDB files.
There are a couple of methods you can use to convert EDB to PST and we will take a closer look at them.
Let’s get started.
EDB to PST Conversion Process
To go through the conversion process of EDB to PST, you can utilize a couple of methods. Each one has certain advantages and disadvantages, choose one while suits your needs.
Exchange Admin Center: This is the method to use for people who are familiar with the working of the Exchange Server. You will be able to export a PST file right from the Exchange server dashboard.
Follow these steps to proceed with the process and get the file.
- Open Exchange Admin Center link and log in as an administrator.
- Now, you need to navigate your way to permissions and then click on the Admin Roles option from the right pane.
- Click on the Recipient Management located under Admin Roles and then click the plus sign.
- It will open a new role group wizard where you need to click on plus sign under Roles option.
- Now, select Mailbox Import Export from Display Name and then click on Add button, click OK to proceed.
- Mailbox Import Export role has now added to the Recipient Management option.
- Now, go to the Recipients and select the Mailboxes option and then choose the mailbox you want to export. After that click on the more option (three dots) and select Export to a PST file option.
- Now, you need to browse and choose the mailbox you want to export.
- Now, provide a path for storing the PST file in the shared folder.
- Then, you need to select the mailbox which will receive an email after the export process is done.
So, this was the manual method for the conversion of EDB to PST. But, you can see that it is quite complex and people who don’t understand may not be able to navigate through permissions.
If you want a simple and easy way for conversion, read on the below-provided method for automatic conversion.
EDB to PST file conversion using EDB to PST Converter
There are many tools available in the market for this process; we will use Shoviv EDB to PST Converter for our guide because this is prominent. Using this tool is pretty straightforward but first, you need to download and install it. So, go ahead, download and install it on your system and open the tool.
Once you’ve done that and tool it open and ready for conversion, follow these steps.
- First, click on the Add EDB button from the left side of the ribbon bar up top.
- Now, browse your computer and select the EDB file you want to convert.
- Then, you need to select the ‘Export Multiple mailboxes to PST’ option.
- Then, you can filter the EDB based on name, date, etc.
- You will need to select ‘Export and Create New PST File’ option from the next wizard or you can choose as per the need.
- Now, wait for a few minutes for the tool to complete the conversion process.
You will be able to save a report upon completion of the conversion process. This tool will also come in handy if you wish to repair EDB file.
So, these were the methods for converting EDB to PST, choose one which suits your needs. Shoviv EDB to PST Converter also provides a free demo/trial version of the Software that allows conversion of first 50 items per folder.