To execute Archiving in Office 365 most of the users of Office 365 search for a perfect way. In place archiving in Office 365 provides additional mailbox storage space to Office 365 users while for archiving email in Outlook, the user mailbox must have “Archive Mailbox” enabled. After enabling the archive mailbox, users can easily move messages from the primary mailbox to the Archive mailbox. Users can easily enable archive mailbox in Office 365 and also can Execute Office 365 archiving process.
Download a trial version of Office 365 Backup & Restore to know how to do Archiving in Office 365.
Steps to enable archive mailbox in Office 365:
- Sign in with Office 365 credentials at https://protection.office.com/.
- In the “Security and Compliance Centre”, click on “Data governance” and then make a click on “Archive”.
- The Archive page will display where the user can see all the mailboxes that are connected to office 365 account. Here, at the archive mailbox column, user can also see whether an archive mailbox is enabled or not.
- Now, make a selection of mailbox for which user want to enable “Archive mailbox”.
- A message to warn will be displayed, click on the “Yes” to enable archive mailbox.
Archiving in Office 365 to PST using the e-Discovery method:
- Login to Office 365 Portal and access the Microsoft 365 admin centre.
- In the Microsoft 365 Admin Centre, expand the Admin centres and make a click on the Security and Compliance.
- In the Security and Compliance Centre, click on the Permissions to edit the e-Discovery Manager Role group.
- Using the Edit button add your account to the eDiscovery Administrator list.
- Role group has the following roles assigned: Compliance Search, Case Management, Hold, Preview, Review, RMS Decrypt and Export. If anyhow Export role is missing, make sure adding it by clicking the Edit role group button.
- Now go to the Search& investigation> Content search.
Note: If the Content Search option is missing, it may be due to the changes you made in the eDiscovery permissions. Changes might take 24 hours to apply.
- Now in the new window, make a click on the New Search, here you can select the “All locations” or “Specific locations”.
- In the next window, Choose the Exchange email or by using the choose users, groups option, select the specific mailboxes.
- Other than location filter, you also have other filters to use like time ranges, keywords/phrases, from/ To /CC/BCC fields, and many more. If you have to archive all data, don’t apply any filter.
- Click Save and Run, you will be accelerated to the wizard where you have to enter the name and description.
- Move to the Content Search Window, refresh and select the search.
- In the next window, the user can see if the search has been completed by clicking More >Export results.
- In the next window, the user can check if he/she wants to include encrypted files. User can also decide how to export the Exchange content: While the default options are the most suitable for the backup. After selecting all checks, click on the Export button.
- By doing this, exportation of data will start; from the Export tab you can check its progress.
- You can also download the results from download results tab. Must copy the Export key; it will be required in the next step.
- Now, Click Once application “eDiscovery PST Export Tool” will start; here paste the copied Export Key. Point Export Tool to a folder where you want to save the PST files.
What does e-Discovery method lack?
e-Discovery method for archiving in Office365 is good in many ways but it has some drawbacks too about which user should be aware, some of them are:
- In the e-Discovery method, “PST Export button missing or Export can’t finish” problem is a major issue.
- The chances of creating duplicate items are very high, for this de-duplication solution is also present but it is not a satisfactory solution. This mechanism has some limitations too.
- Archiving Office 365 with e-discovery is a very tedious and time-consuming process.
- Missing of items, corruption of PST file is a common issue with this.
- A proper know-how e-Discovery is a must for Archiving Office 365 mailboxes.
So, what is Alternate?
Unfortunately using e-Discovery method doesn’t provide a solution to which professional can prefer for archiving in Office 365; can’t ignore the limitations and drawbacks. For Archiving in Office 365 in a professional way, using the third-party solution is the right decision. In this sequence, Shoviv Software provides an advanced solution for Archiving in Office 365.
Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software:
Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software is a boon for archiving in Office 365. It offers smooth backup of Office 365 mailboxes in PST files. It is the fastest backup software the market has and it is because of its advanced algorithm. The Software is built with the user-friendly GUI and user-oriented features which makes it compatible with the point of users. Some of its salient features are:
- It takes the backup of the Office 365 mailboxes in the PST files and these PST can be easily open and previewed in any Outlook version of Windows O.S.
- It works on the Job-based backup process so there is no need to create connection all-time for creating and running job for the process.
- Option to Schedule-Backup job is also provided in the software, the user can select the option like daily, weekly, monthly. The software will automatically start the backup process on scheduled time.
- An advanced option of a full and incremental backup is also given within the Software: It backup only the exempted items (increased data) from the last time and prevents duplicity.
- It easily takes backup of User mailbox, Public Folder and Archive Folder in very simple steps; anyone can run the process without any prior technical knowledge.
- For the ease of users, it also provides the Filter option based on Date and Items for Archiving in Office 365.
Archiving in Office 365 is a highly practised process, various reasons are here due to which users are archiving Office 365 to PST: retaining data at own place is the main. To do so, users have the option to go with the manual e-discovery method but before using it, knowing its limitations and drawbacks is a must to do a thing. Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Software provide an easy and proficient way to do this. A free demo/trial version of the software is also available to download that allows backup of first 50 items per folder.