Migration toward the best is obvious but before migration, it is must to know exactly what is best for you. Among the users, On-Premises Exchange VS Office 365 is a common trend today. They are the two most prominent Email-Server platforms where high competition can be seen. Here, we are discussing all aspects covering On-Premises Exchange VS Office 365(Exchange Online) with their pros and cons; migration is your decision.
Let’s have a comparison between On-premises Exchange VS Office 365:
What is On-Premises Exchange?
As the name indicates, On-premises Exchange is keeping the Exchange Server(s) at own premises. It can be availed by purchasing client access license. For this, you need sufficient hardware with installed Exchange.
Advantages of Exchange On-Premises:
- It offers full authority over the Exchange, the user can configure the specifications or settings & can easily manage the mailboxes and other things as per the requirement.
- Server updates, re-start, backup and shutdown can be controlled and conducted according to convenience.
- Exchange Data is in your full control and you know where it is.
- The Security of data is a big aspect behind this whole scenario, with On-premises Exchange, users get surety of data security as data is at own place.
- Users can upgrade the security feature as per the requirement.
Check Out Our latest Arrival on: Migrate Exchange to Office 365
Disadvantages of Exchange On-Premises:
- At the initial stage of installation, a big investment is required.
- There is a need for technical expertise for handling the DNS Services, Firewalls, and Active directory for On-premises Exchange Server.
- An On-site Exchange Administrator is must who will be responsible to manage the mailboxes, to stop the unauthorized access and to recover the deleted and corrupted mailboxes.
- Maintenance and upgrading of the hardware and software are very expensive.
- On any malfunction and disaster to data at Exchange, the business (having On-premises Exchange) will be fully responsible for that.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a cloud-based Software as a Service that runs over the subscription. Users can subscribe to the plan as per the requirements. Different Office 365 plans are available like Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal and Office 365 Education.
Advantages of Office 365:
- With Office 365 user can get many services like hosted Exchange Server, Share Point and Skype for Business Server, etc.
- Users will always get the updated version; no need to updates all time. No need to pay for any updates.
- No need to invest in hardware installation at the beginning.
- Office 365 services are accessible everywhere in the presence of a network connection.
- Office 365 is cost-efficient as there no need to maintain anything.
Disadvantages of Office 365:
- Microsoft has data centers at different places across the world and users are unaware of that. So, users are not aware of the location of their data.
- Archiving mailboxes is an issue with Office 365.
- While Microsoft is the most reliable client for data storage still there is some chance of unauthorised access and concern with the integrity of data hence large enterprises hesitates with Office 365.
- Data migration requires third-party assistance.
After having a comparison between On-Premises Exchange VS Office 365, now it will be easier to choose what is best for you. Every organization has different needs hence priority changes. Migration from On-premises Exchange to Office 365 or Office 365 to Exchange Server is a crucial process hence requires a professional Exchange Migration Tool.
As there are also some manual methods available for migration but they aren’t suitable for such an important process. Manual Methods have various drawbacks.