If you are a user of Office365 email service and your email data is in Office 365 (also known as online-exchange), you might want to keep your all the important data stored into your local disk. There are number of reasons to do that, like archiving your email data or to make an offline copy of your important data.
Today we will find out how to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST and also to Import PST to Office 365. So all together, we will serve both kinds of users. First, who want to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST and second, who want to import Outlook PST to Office 365. This is going to summarize all the information you need to know about archiving your Office 365 and you will also come to know the reasons and advantages of doing both.
In the first part of this article, we will find out why and how to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST and in the second part we will find out why and how to import PST to Office 365.
But what if you could do both with a single tool? We will find out in this article.
Now successfully export Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook PST
Even though Office 365 is a cloud-based service and has more benefits. Though, situations may arise where a user might have to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST format. Even though Office 365 has security features, it doesn’t offer the option to take a hard backup of the mailboxes. We will find out the need to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST format and will also find out how to do it effortlessly.
We will also look into how to manually export Office 365 to Outlook PST and reveal a third party solution which will help you to do the same task effortlessly.
Why do users export Office 365 Mailbox?
We are aware that the Office 365 application in itself does not offer any built-in feature to Export Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook PST file. This is when the user tries to find ways to do it himself.
Here are the reasons why Office 365 users export to PST file
Archive Office 365 mailbox in hard drive: If you export Office 365 to PST file, you can save that Office 365 mailbox data to your hard drive and work with it accordingly.
Moderate the size of Office 365 Mailbox: You can ease the load on your Office 365 application by exporting Office 365 mailbox to PST file. This way, you will also have a backup of Office 365 mailbox which can be accessed and retrieved anytime. Your Office 365 application will work smoothly too.
How to export Office 365 mailbox to PST?
We have two methods. The first one is the old manual method and the other is the new improved method which uses a third-party solution.
How to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST manually
- Login to Office Account online with Administrator credentials
- Go to Admin > Exchange
- Go to Permissions from the left pane > Go to Admin Roles > Discovery Management
- In Discovery Management, click ‘+’ sign to add Roles
- Now click on ‘Mailbox Import/Export’ below roles
- Under ‘Members’, click the ‘+’ sign and click on the name of the user
- Click on “Save” after doing what is asked
- Go to “Compliance Management > in-place eDiscovery & hold” and click on the New (+)
- From “In-Place eDiscovery & Hold” dialogue box, enter the name and click Next
- After that select the all mailboxes by selecting “Search all mailboxes” or the selected ones by “Specify mailboxes to search” option and adding the ‘+’
- Set the desired filters and click the Next button from the next ‘Search query’ screen
- The next dialogue is “In-Place Hold Settings” from where you can select the number of days for which the items are to be kept before they are deleted from the server
- After that, click on “Finish”
- Finally, click the “Close” button after the confirmation message
- Now finally the entire generated search gets listed after the completion of the process, results, you can now click on the downward arrow to export the .pst files
Drawbacks of the manual method :
- The option to filter items is not provided during export
- You cannot export selective data like mails and contacts separately
- You need to be an expert to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST successfully
- The process is long and complicated
- Even a single mistake might lead to major data loss
How to import PST to Office 365
Now that we have discussed how to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST, let us how to do the opposite. Yes, we are now going to find out why users import PST to Office 365 and how they can do it with success.
Why import PST to Office 365?
We know that Office 365 is a cloud-based service that allows you to access your emails anytime and anywhere. Office 365 client also has a larger data storage capacity when compared with the simpler Outlook application. Even though both services are run by Microsoft, when it comes to features and benefits, Office 365 takes the cake. In this article, we will find out why Outlook users import PST to Office 365 and how to do it with the best available solution.
Don’t miss our latest arrival on: https://www.shoviv.com/pst-to-office365.html
How to Import PST to Office 365?
MS Outlook has an import and export feature through which we can import PST to Office 365 manually.
Export to a PST File
- OpenControl Panel and click Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit)
- On the Mail Setup dialog box, click the Show Profiles option
- In the Mail dialog box, click the drag-down arrow under Always use this profile option
- Select Outlook, and click Apply > OK
- Now open Microsoft Outlook
- On the taskbar, go to the File tab > Open & Export > Import/Export
- In the Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file. Click Next
- In the next dialogue box, select Outlook Data File (.pst). Click Next
- In the next dialog box, you can either select the entire PST file or any specific mailbox folder. Click Next to go ahead
- Click the Browse option to choose a location where you want to create this new PST file
- Give a name to this file and click OK to save
- Now choose if you want to avoid duplicate items. Then click finish
Close Outlook and open the control panel. Click Mail Microsoft Outlook 2016 (32-bit).
In the mail setup dialogue box, click on Show profile. Click the drag-down arrow under “Always use this profile” option. Choose “Outlook 365 email”, and click Apply> OK.
Import PST File
- Open MS Outlook. In the taskbar, click the File tab>Open & Export> Import/Export
- In the import and export wizard, select Import from another program or file. Click Next.
- In the Import dialogue box, choose “Outlook data file (PST). Click Next.
- In the next step, click the browse button to find the PST file you need to import. Choose the PST file and click Open.
- Choose the option “Do not import duplicates”. Click Next. Click Finish.
Limitations of the manual method
The drawbacks of the manual methods are listed beneath
- It is time-consuming
- It involves a lot of complex steps
- You have to upload PST files one by one
- Even a single error can mean major data loss
- You need to be an experienced user to do it successfully
Now that you know how to manually export Office 365 mailboxes to PST & Import PST to Office 365, you should be aware that both need the expertise to handle. In a normal situation, you would need to get access to the two different tools that would Export Office 365 Mailboxes to PST & Import PST to Office 365. Fortunately, there is a single solution that has been extensively recommended by users and experts alike.
The ideal solution: Shoviv Exchange Server Suite
If you think that you cannot export Office 365 to Outlook PST & Import PST to Office 365 manually, you need to look into the other solution which is ideal for the process. You should try a third party solution called Shoviv Exchange Server Suite which can do both under a single roof. It is one of its kind tool which use advanced algorithms to tackle complex tasks effortlessly and to handle both the conversions under one roof.
It can effortlessly export Office 365 mailbox to PST & Import PST to Office 365 in just a few easy steps. It is a professional solution which has been created after extensive research about the needs of email users. This tool works at high speed and offers an astounding variety of specialized features which enable the tool to effortlessly export Office 365 mailboxes to PST and Import PST to Office 365 and a lot more. You don’t have to be an experienced user to deal with this tool. It is highly user-friendly and enables even first time users to easily do multiple additional tasks such as :
- Easily recover EDB, OST and PST Files
- Import EDB Mailboxes to PST Files, Live Exchange, and Office 365 Mailboxes
- Export OST Files into PST Files, Office 365 and Live Exchange Mailboxes
- Import PST Files into Live Exchange and Office 365 Mailboxes
- Export/Import Live Exchange and Office 365 Mailboxes & vice-versa
So if you have been looking for a safe and reliable solution to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST & Import PST to Office 365, Shoviv Exchange server suite is the ideal solution that you can use right now. This is an all in one solution and you should certainly not miss a chance to try it once.