If you are a user of Microsoft Outlook then surely you will be familiar with the OST and PST Files. OST and PST both are the data storage file of Outlook. The OST files save data for offline use while PST stores data in the client’s local disk. OST file can be converted to PST file format and vice versa when needed. Let’s know about all comprehensively:
Firstly know, what is Outlook?
The Outlook is a part of MS Office suite, it is an E-mail client application which also facilitates calendar, task manager, contact manager, journal, and note taking etcetera. Microsoft Outlook can be used as the Stand-alone application or can be used to work with Exchange Server and Microsoft SharePoint Server for the many users in an organization.
You can also check our latest arrival on https://www.shoviv.com/how-to/convert-ost-to-pst-step-by-step-using-the-manual-method.php
What is PST?
In Microsoft Outlook, Personal Storage Table (PST) stores the copies of the messages, contacts, calendars etc. on user’s system from the account configured on the Outlook. PST is an Open file format. When a user creates the account in the Outlook, a default PST file automatically created. A PST file also allows securing from the unauthorized access with the password.
What is OST?
Offline Storage Table (.ost file) is an offline Outlook data file which stores an offline copy of Outlook data item that exists on the server. OST file allows users to work even in the absence of the server connection. Users can edit the data, save emails in the draft, adding and deleting etcetera. Whenever the user works in the absence of server, a carbon copy of mailbox is created by MS Outlook and store locally on the users’ system.
Difference b/w Outlook OST and PST file:
OST is the offline folder created by the MS Outlook and Server to store offline copies of data whereas PST not created by the Outlook or Exchange Server. Users create it to store emails, contacts and calendar entries etcetera.PST files are friendly for the backup, as you can store them anywhere or can easily transfer from one system to another.
- You can work in OST file even in the absence of connection with the Exchange Server (when Offline), and when connection established it synchronizes itself with the exchange server mailboxes while PST doesn’t allow to do this.
- The OST files only support Microsoft Exchange Server while PST files are also compatible with other services.
- To solve the minor problem and to repair PST, built-in utility Scanpst.exe is used whereas to repair OST built-in Scanost.exe comes handy.
OST to PST Converter:
If needed, OST files can be converted to PST files. In scenarios such as the unexceptional crash of server because of malicious software, virus attack, power failure etc., converting OST to PST file format relieves.
- By converting OST to PST the migration of data from one place to another place or system becomes easier.
- Converting OST data into PST file format helps if accidentally exchange server mailboxes data somehow delete.
- Along these, there may be various situations when the user needs to Convert OST to PST file format. The Conversion can be done by the manual way but it is not recommended as it asks for prior technical knowledge and it is not safe nor professional. The manual method comes with limitations.
Professionally OST to PST Converter:
To convert OST to PST in a genuine manner a professional third-party tool is a must. Shoviv OST to PST Converter is the one which facilitates all the user-centric facilities. It makes OST to PST conversion very easy and proficient.
- It supports all the versions of Outlook and Windows O.S.
- Can Save OST items into various formats like HTML, EML, vCal, vCard, MSG etcetera.
- Offers Filter option, Preview option, Search option to facilitate users.
- Software is capable to export multiple OST files into the Office 365, PST and Live Exchange without any hassle.
- Along with many other features, it also provides a free demo/trial version to check its working and to get satisfied.