The use of PowerShell Command-Line to migrate between one databases to another database is quite common. Using New-MoveRequest command Exchange Administrator can move mailboxes in the Active Directory forest from one to another database. With Exchange Management PowerShell users can migrate mailboxes in Exchange 2010/2013/2016/2019… Migration between the same Active Directory forests is termed as local move request and b/w different called remote move request.
- As Microsoft notified, after the 15th of April, 2020, New-MoveRequest can’t be used for the migration within an Exchange Online Organization.
Run the following command:
New-MoveRequest – Identity email@example.com – TargetDataBase “DB08”
This command example moves Shoviv1 mailbox to the new database DB08
Get-Mailbox-Database DB08| New-MoveRequest – TargetDatabase DB09- BatchName “DB08to DB09”
This command example requests a batch move for all mailboxes on the database DB08 to move database DB09 with the BatchName parameter value DB08toDB09.
Get-MoverequestStatistics – Identity Shoviv1@help.com
For the large size mailbox, run this cmdlet to get statistics of migration moreover to track migration percentage.
What is the alternate of manual migration?
Manually using the New-MoveRequest cmdlet of the Power Shell Command line, it is possible to migrate mailboxes but it is not an effortless and proficient way. Manual moving of the mailboxes lacks various handy features for which professional look for. The manual way comes with tediousness, consumes time, and asks for technical expertise. Chances of human error are also associated with the manual way. Due to all these limitations, users search for an alternate way.
With the professional third-party tools, you can migrate mailboxes with ease. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool is an alternate and a quick and effortless way to migrate mailboxes. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool provides various features for professional and swift working. Some of the features and benefits of the Shoviv Software are:
- It allows users to migrate multiple mailboxes in a single attempt; no restriction on size and numbers.
- The software is capable of recovering inaccessible and corrupted EDB files.
- You can effortlessly migrate Office 365 / Live Exchange public folder and archive mailbox to another Office 365 / Live Exchange public folder and archive mailbox.
- The software is compatible with all the versions of Exchange Server, MS Outlook, and Windows O.S.
- Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool permits saving of the mailboxes into several common file formats like Outlook PST, HTML, MSG, EML, RTF et cetera.
- The software comes with a very easy to use GUI and swiftly executes the task.
- User-friendly options like Preview Option, Filter Option, and Search option are also given within the software.
Migration of mailboxes using a manual way i.e. Power Shell Command-line like New-MoveRequest Cmdlet is possible but not recommended for professionals. Manual migration comes with numerous limitations hence need for a third-party tool arises. Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool comes with various user-oriented features and effortless working. A free trial version of the software is also available that allows users to check the working of the software. Users can simply download it from Shoviv’s website and check working efficiency. The demo version of the Shoviv Exchange Migration Tool allows the migration of the first fifty items per folder.