Office 365 has gained so much popularity in recent days due to its attractive features thus organizations are adopting it with open hearts. Users from other email clients are migrating into Office 365. If you are HCL Notes (formerly IBM Lotus Notes) users and want to know how to migrate HCL Notes to Office 365; you are landed on the correct post. Here we will describe everything from why to how in regards to the migration process.
Why Migrate HCL Notes to Office 365?
Various factors are involved which pushed users to migrate from the HCL Notes to Office 365. Some of them are given below.
- Maintaining HCL Notes is not economical where Office 365 cloud platform required no charges to maintain.
- Office 365 offers great functional features for businesses that boost productivity.
- Office 365 is user-friendly even the novice users can perform the basic tasks.
- HCL Notes interface is a bit complicated as compared to Office 365
Download a trial version of HCL Notes to Office 365 to know in a better way.
Things You Should Know Before Migrating HCL Notes to Office 365 Manually
While performing a HCL Notes to Office 365 migration, you need to be heedful of the following:
- Perform the migration on the data files which are less than 1 GB in size
- Cleaning all the user’s mailboxes data will decrease the amount of data and boost the migration process.
- The Notes extractor will only migrate you 15 mailboxes at a single go. In case you have more mailboxes you can do it in batches.
- Calendar entries must be migrated manually in HCL Notes.
- Try to deactivate the firewall program to make the process smoother. It can hamper the process.
- You need to back up the NSF file data before starting the migration process. The process may fail and you may end up losing your data. Hence, backing up is a safe way.
- You need to be technically sound before performing the manual steps.
Manually Migrate HCL Notes to Office 365
The manual migration process of HCL Notes to Office 365 is done in 4 steps, pay a glance.
Backup the HCL NotesData
The first thing you need to do is to take a backup of your NSF file data, in case something went wrong, your data will be safe. Backups of data is a crucial thing as the migration of data between two clients is not safe and involves lots of risks. Hence, keep your data safe on priority.
Create Mailboxes for Users on Office 365
In the next step, you need to create a new mailbox for every user account before migrating the data. So, create a new one and check all the details and everything related to the user profile.
Enable the IMAP Ports for Users
The manual migration process goes through the IMAP protocol; hence you need to enable the IMAP port for all users. You can do this by following underneath steps;
- Browse the ‘Domino Administrator’ tab in your HCL Notes
- Tap on the ‘Configuration’ window in ‘Domino Administrator’
- Select the appropriate Server file
- Now Go to ‘Ports’ tab, ‘Internet Ports’ and then ‘Mail’
- Change the ‘TCP/IP Port Value Status’ to ‘Enabled’
- Now tap on ‘Save’ to apply the changes
Make a Connection with the IMAP Connector
After enabling the IMAP ports for users’, it must be simple to make a connection through the IMAP connector available in the HCL Notes email client. You can now straightly synchronize your HCL Notes email data to Office 365. When the connection has been effectively established, you can migrate the data without any issue. However, the duration of the process may depend on the size of the data.
Disadvantages of the Manual Method
While performing the migration task with the manual method, users encounter several issues and few of them are given below:
- Because of active Proxy and Firewall, HCL Notesflops to make an internet connection.
- If HCL Notesis not connected to the internet, IMAP connection cannot be established
- In the manual method, Calendar entries cannot be moved with the IMAP connector.
- In manual methods, you can only migrate 1 GB of data
- IMAP process is quite complex and requires a proper setup, hence you need to be technically sound to perform the task.
Shoviv HCL Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool – Stress- free Solution
A simple and plain method to migrate the HCL Notes file to Office 365 is the Shoviv Migration tool. It is the best tool available for this process loaded with incredible features. This tool can migrate all the mailbox items such as emails, calendars, appointments, drafts, journals, address books, appointments, tasks, attachments, and calendars.
Features of Shoviv HCL Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool:
Multiple NSF file migration
You can easily migrate multiple NSF files at once to Office 365 using this tool. It saves your time as you don’t need to pick files to migrate and wait to get migrated.
Preview of NSF data Before Completion
The preview features of the tool allows you to see the data of the selected NSF file before migrating it. It helps in verifying the data and lets you modify anything if needed.
Various savings formats
This tool allows you to save NSF files not just Office 365 but other formats such as EML, MSG, and more.
Folder Mapping Option
It offers the folder mapping option which allows the users to migrate items from one folder to another folder using this feature.
The tool has been designed for every user; hence it has a user-friendly GUI which helps users to perform the task simply and perfectly. Even novice users can use this tool effortlessly.
The Demo version of this tool lets you evaluate the performance before buying the premium version. Using the free trial version, you can migrate the first 50 items per folder.