Both IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are the popular email clients. NSF (Notes Storage Facility) is a file extension used by Lotus Notes and PST (Personal Storage Table) is a file format used by Microsoft Outlook. With the changing of business requirements and change in the market trend, the users started migrating Lotus Notes to Microsoft Outlook.
Migrating NSF to PST is considered to be a tedious task when it is not done with proper planning and without the help of NSF to PST converter tool. But, before converting it is necessary to understand the reasons behind converting NSF to PST. Some of the reasons are:-
- The Outlook is more economical than the Lotus Notes. The pricing is one of the main reasons behind converting NSF to PST.
- Lotus Notes requires the support of high technical expertise.
- Outlook can perform various tasks at one time whereas Lotus Notes fails to perform multi-tasking.
- MS Outlook has many security features and has a better data management facility as compared to Lotus Notes.
Therefore, it is quite clear from the above statements that what makes the NSF user migrate from NSF to PST.
Download a trial version of Shoviv NSF to PST Converter to know in a better way.
Method to convert NSF to PST
- Manual method
- Professional tool (Shoviv NSF to PST Converter)
Start to follow the steps to perform a manual method.
Before converting NSF to PST, first, it is necessary to have a backup of all NSF files. There are 2 stages to perform under the manual method.
- Export the NSF files from the Lotus Notes to an intermediate CSV file.
- Importing CSV file into MS Outlook.
Steps to export NSF files from Lotus Notes to an intermediate CSV file
- Install Lotus Notes.
- Click on File > Open > Lotus Notes application.
- Now in the open application window, start to browse for the required NSF file and click on the Open button.
- On the File menu, click on export.
- In the export dialog box fill the information for the file name, file location, and saving type.
Note:-Choose save type as CSV (comma-structured value).
- Then, in the CSV export dialog box select the required option and click on OK to continue the process.
Here, the export data gets saved into a CSV file.
Steps to import CSV file into MS Outlook
- Install the MS Outlook in your local system.
- Create a profile.
- Open the MS Outlook.
- Click on the File tab at the menu bar.
- Then, click on Open and export> Import/export.
- The dialog box appears with some options. Select the “Import from another program or file”. Click “Next“.
- Select the file type as CSV(comma-structured values).
- Now, browse and locate the CSV file to import. Click on the Next button.
- Select the destination folder and then again click on Next to continue the process.
- Start mapping the file and then mark on the checkbox. Click on the FINISH button.
- Now, wait for a while until the process gets completed.
Drawbacks of manual method
NSF to PST conversion is a very tough task to do if handled manually without using NSF to PST converter tool. Manual methods always lead to drawbacks, which are:
- The manual method does not guarantee the user to convert the entire NSF data into PST. It does not allow the user to convert the calendar entries.
- There is more chance of occurrence of failure due to human error.
- There is a high threat of data loss during migration.
- It can transfer only one NSF file in one run. Therefore, it becomes very time-consuming.
Now, to migrate from IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook we provide another easy and quick solution to migrate from NSF to PST. It is recommended to use Shoviv Lotus Notes to Outlook. From the below features, it becomes more clear why to use Shoviv Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Salient features of Shoviv NSF TO PST Converter
- It smoothly converts the NSF to PST.
- It allows the batch conversion i.e. one can select multiple NSF files and convert them altogether.
- There is no file size restriction. It easily handles large NSF file and convert it into PST and furthermore, split it into small PST file by providing the PST size limit.
- This tool properly maintains the integrity and security of data.
- It supports all versions of IBM Notes, Domino Server, MS Outlook as well as Windows OS.
Steps for the Shoviv NSF to PST Converter
Follow the below-mentioned steps to convert NSF to PST:-
- Download and install the software.
- Open the software.
- Click on add NSF file option at the menu bar.
- Click on add or search the NSF files and then, select the required file. Press ok.
- Now, the user can see the folder list of selected NSF file. Select the folder and then select Outlook PST from the taskbar.
- Check/uncheck for the sub-folders and click on the Next button.
- Set the filter option by using export only message date and click next.
- Browse for the target location. Furthermore, we also have the option to create and set a PST file password and split the resultant PST into small batches by giving the size limit.
- So, here the process gets completed successfully within a blink of an eye. Click on Finish button.
Hence, when there is a need to migrate NSF to PST and the manual method becomes impractical. In that condition. Shoviv NSF to PST Converter tool is the best, quick and effortless tool for the easy migration of NSF to PST. To get satisfied with its working, one can go with the demo version as a trial; which allows migration of first 25 items per folder.
If you want to migrate Lotus Notes NSF mailboxes to Office 365. Our Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration tool is here, check:- Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration