Windows live mail is a free discontinued email client by Microsoft. It reached the end of life on 10 January 2017. Many users are still using often with bugs as Microsoft doesn’t provide updates and technical support for it. Recently, Thunderbird got an update and advancements, and now many Windows Live Mail users are seeking a way to import Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird and replace it as their email client.
Importing EML files into Thunderbird is not a complicated task, but the problem comes when users have thousands of EML files to import.
Two free-ways to Thunderbird import Windows Live Mail that actually works
There are two free-ways to import EML to Thunderbird. One is by using an add-on named ImportExport, and another one is the Drag and Drop method.
- Import EML into Thunderbird using ImportExport
In this way, we will use ImportExport add-in, but this utility is not available after Thunderbird 78. So if you are using a newer version of Thunderbird, then scroll down to the second approach.
This method has two phases. One is Installing ImportExport Add-on and the second one is exporting EML files to Thunderbird.
Phase1: Install and configure ImportExport Add-on.
- Firstly, Download the ImportExport add-on from here.
- Secondly, open Thunderbird and install ImportExport add-on into the Thunderbird. For this, pursue the following steps.
- Then, click on the Menu button and select the Add-on option
- Now click on the Setting option and choose Install Add-on from the file
- Choose the xpi and click Open.
- Make sure the add-on is successfully added.
Phase2: Import EML to Thunderbird
- Then, create a new folder in Thunderbird. (In my case, I have named it “Test Folder”).
- Now select the new folder and make a right-click and choose the ImportExport Tools
- Then, a dropdown menu will open, select Import all messages from a Directory. (Choose also from its subdirectory option to include subfolders).
- Now select the folder in which the EML files are stored and click on the Ok
It is how you can import Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird using the ImportExport utility. But as I have already mentioned, this utility doesn’t support the latest versions of Thunderbird. Along with this, it is a time-consuming task and has a risk of data loss. I didn’t suggest using this method to users as it doesn’t allow selecting multiple EML files’ folders to export. Hence you have to repeat the same process every time to import a folder, and it will consume your crucial time.
- Drag and Drop method to Import Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird
This one is much easier than the previous one. Below is the process to execute this method.
- Firstly create a new folder in Thunderbird.
- Secondly, go to the location where your EML files are stored.
- Then, drag the EML files and drop them into the Thunderbird folders.
- That’s it. Now all your EML files will get exported into the Thunderbird.
The drag and drop method is a handy option to import Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird. But it doesn’t have an option to find and exclude unwanted emails. Besides this, the Drag and Drop method is limited, and users can import a limited amount of EML files using the Drag and Drop method. If you have multiple EML files to import, do it in small portions, or use a professional EML converter tool.
Export EML files in a single process
If you have uncountable EML files folder and want a secure and fast import, use a third-party EML converter tool. There are many on the web, but as we all know, not everyone is a master so, you have to be very careful while choosing a third-party EML converter tool.
One that many professionals use and recommend is the Shoviv EML converter. It is one of those software that are boon in their field. This software knows how to complete a job without any alteration and glitches. This software provides many advanced options to make the import process as per users’ desire.
With the Shoviv EML converter, you can import EML to Thunderbird, Outlook profile, Live Exchange, and Office 365 as well. Additionally, it also has a filter option on the Subject, From, and To-based criteria.
Both manual methods mentioned above can import Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird but with some restrictions. One can use any of them. If you want a desired and restriction-free EML to Thunderbird import process, go with the Professional tool.
Why should I use the Shoviv EML converter over the manual methods?
Users can have unwanted emails, and both manual methods mentioned above don’t have options to exclude unwanted items. Shoviv EML converter has a filter option on the From, To, and Subject basis.
Our organization has recently shifted into Office 365. We are seeking a solution that can export EML files into Office 365 and PST files. Is it possible with Shoviv EML converter?
Yes Shoviv EML converter can export your EML files into Office 365 and PST files. While exporting EML files into PST files, users can split the resultant PST files and apply a password to them.