MBOX is a most common mailbox storage file, which is considered a flexible file format that can be accessible to the various email applications. MBOX file format can only help the users to store email messages. It is supported by more than 20 email clients like Mulberry, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, etc. As compared to MS Outlook, it also provides a facility to store all emails, journals, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. Therefore, the majority of the organizations is lean towards the outlook. The MBOX users are preparing themselves to access the MBOX file content in MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and below versions.
Microsoft Outlook stores its data in PST (an acronym for personal storage table) file format. PST is the most organized file format, which saves all outlook mailbox data in it. Microsoft Outlook is one of the popular email clients.
Microsoft Outlook supports various advanced features and updates which is a very important part of every organization. Most of the users nowadays prefer Outlook over MBOX.
MS Outlook is much more secure than MBOX, as it provides a password security feature to its users to protect their emails from spammers and hackers.
Now, here are the methods to import MBOX to Outlook. Now, first discussing with the manual method. Follow the given steps:-
First, enable the IMAP option into mail account after these steps:-
- Login into the GMAIL account.
- Click on the gear icon and under Gmail page, open Gmail setting and choose “Forwarding and POP/IMAP option”.
- Choose to enable the IMAP option.
- Configure IMAP account and select save changes option.
Note:-To apply the steps of manual methods one must install the thunderbird and Outlook in their local computer or laptop.
Now, run the thunderbird on your local computer.
- Now, the dialog box opens for “Mail account setup”. Fill the required information and click “Continue”.
- Enable the IMAP checkbox and choose the “Manual configuration process”.
- Provide all the required information for
Incoming: imap.gmail.com/ port: Either 993(SSL) or 143(very infrequently 580)
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com/ port: Either 25(SSL) or 465(very infrequently 2525)
- After, providing accurate information, tasks will finish. Now, choose “Create a new account”
- Then, verify your Gmail account from thunderbird after open any email message.
- Now, simply drag and drop the file into Gmail inbox to import MBOX file to Outlook.
For importing MBOX file to Outlook
Follow these below steps to configure Outlook mail to a Gmail account
- Go to file menu>>add an account.
- Select manually configure server setting option or additional server types from the dialog box.
- Select the internet email option and click on the “Next” button. Fill the required information.
- Choose IMAP option for IMAP mail account in account type.
- Now, for incoming server type gmail.com and outgoing server type smtp.gmail.com. Furthermore, click on “more setting option”.
- In the outgoing server, move to select my outgoing server (SMTP) which requires authentication and using the same setting, select my incoming server option and enter 993 port number under incoming server’s port.
- Then, select this server requires an encrypted connection option to set the type of encryption to SSC for an IMAP mail account.
- In the outgoing server port, enter the value 587. Set the type of encryption to TLS and then click on the “Ok” button and exit.
- Choose the Test account setting option. This option is used for checking the account setting. Now, the users will receive a message ‘your account setting is correct’. Click on the “Next” button.
Here, the users will receive all its data into Outlook with Gmail configured profile. On the other hand, the manual method is quite lengthy, risky and difficult to use. As the manual method requires heavy support of high technical expertise. This method is considered to be a very time-taking process. One cannot fully trust the manual method to Import MBOX to Outlook because there may be a chance of losing the data at the time of converting MBOX to Outlook. Sometimes, there might be a case when the process gets failed due to the cause of any human error, as it is very difficult for the users to keep all the steps in their mind and apply them properly.
Third-Party Solution to Convert multiple MBOX files:-
Therefore, this article provides a simplified automated solution to Import MBOX to Outlook known as “SHOVIV MBOX to PST Converter”. This MBOX Converter provides an instant solution to its users to import MBOX to Outlook 2019, 2016, and below versions within a couple of minutes. MBOX Converter is a professional tool, which holds the capacity to import MBOX mailboxes into many other formats like MSG, EML, etc. Both technical and non-technical users can easily use this tool. Shoviv MBOX to PST converter safely maintains the data during and after importing. There is no restriction in using any size of MBOX files. Also, this converter permits users to work with all Outlook versions. MBOX converter provides a cost-free demo version of the MBOX converter so that one can easily the first test the tool by importing and save the first 25 items/ folders. Here are the steps to run the software:-
- Install and open Shoviv MBOX to Outlook Converter.
- Click on the File tab. Then select add option.
- Select the option either to the add folder or add MBOX file.
Note:- One can add multiple numbers of MBOX files. Either after selecting the folder from the folder list.
- Now, one can easily see all the information contained by the selected MBOX file/folder and then click on Outlook PST present at the ribbon bar.
- Select the Export type export in PSTand to browse for the target location. Then, the users have a filter option to split the resultant PST into small PST files or either use another filter criteria to filter by including/excluding from Subject, From, To, etc. Click “Export”.
Note:-One can also set the size limit on resultant PST and additionally it provides the facility to set the password to the resultant PST.
Hence, it is clear from the above discussion that a lengthy, unprofessional manual method is not a suitable option for converting MBOX to PST as there is a high chance of losing data. So, by replacing this method the article recommends a trustworthy solution which smoothly converts MBOX to PST.