The number of Office 365 users, both end users and administrators, do not back up their mailbox files. They assume their information is safe in the cloud. However, backing up Office 365 emails and other things is a smart idea. You can take Office 365 backup using its built-in feature. In addition, a few of the native method and Office 365 Backup tools can export Office 365 mailboxes.
Reasons to Backup Office 365 to Outlook PST
Accidental Deletion of Data
You can easily retrieve lost data from the Deleted Items folder if anyone deletes a message from your Office 365 account and you find that any data is missing from the list.
External Malware Threats
The situation becomes much worse if malware erases any of your emails and you are unaware that any messages get deleted from your account.
Service Outage for Office 365
A service failure is inconvenient. Let’s say you need to get to some required email client, but Outlook 365 won’t open. If you have a backup of those emails, you can read them using other applications at that time.
You Wish to move from Office 365
Organizations could move from Office 365 to another environment for several reasons. However, moving from one application to another does not mean that you have deleted your previous data. In this scenario, you can back up your Office 365 mailbox items and then import the file into the destination.
As a result, we have discussed the importance of Office 365 backup. The focus now is on how to carry out the processes. In general, there are two methods for backing up Office 365 mailboxes to PST files.
- Using the manual method
- Professional third-party Office 365 backup tool
The majority of users prefer manual import and export methods because they are more secure. So, take a look at the manual way to backup Office 365 emails first.
Manual Ways for Office 365 backup
Using eDiscovery PST Export Tool
Follow these steps to export Office 365 mailboxes to an Outlook PST file:
- Using login credentials, log in to Office 365. Select Security & Compliance Center from the Office 365 Admin Center. Now edit the eDiscovery Manager function category in Permissions.
- Now user need to pick Search & Investigation from the drop-down menu. Start a New Content Search wizard by clicking the add (+) button. Enter an appropriate name and then press Next.
- To export data from all mailboxes, select search anywhere and check the Exchange box. You may also use the Custom position selection option to choose individual mailboxes. You can also export from public folders by selecting the option to scan all public folders.
- Filters such as time ranges, email metadata (from, to, cc, bcc), and message types can get added in the next stage. Click Start export in the next window after clicking on search.
- After selecting the desired export options, click on Start export to begin the process. You can download the export results by pressing Download export results in the Content Search dialogue window. It will produce an export key and a copy of this to the clipboard.
- After that, the eDiscovery PST export tool will available. Then, copy the export key and paste it. Now, tell the Export tool where you want the PST files to get saved.
- After that, the export will begin once you click on Start button.
How to Restore PST to Office 365 Manually
When it comes to manual methods for importing PST files into Office 365, users can use the following form.
Importing PST Files into Office 365
Office 365 also has a feature that enables user to import unencrypted PST into the Office cloud setting. You need to assign user account the Mailbox Import Export feature, before starting the manual process. To delegate the position, follow the steps below.
Assign the Mailbox Import and Export function to the following users:
- User need to open the Admin Center in Exchange
- Now, you need to select Permissions.
- Then, Select Admin Roles from the drop-down list. After
- After that, click on organization Management>Click + Roles>
- Now, the user needs to select Mailbox Import and Export from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting Add button, click on the Ok button and then the Save button.
You may also establish a new position group and then assign permissions to your account.
Limitations of Microsoft Office 365 backup and Recovery native methods
In terms of time, precision, and reliability, the native Microsoft 365 archival and recovery tools have a number of drawbacks.
- eDiscovery archives are manual, hold obsolete data, and the only function to restore whole mailboxes, which is why Microsoft recommends third-party backup. Insider threats are the leading cause of cyberattacks.
- Litigation for Recovery Hold is inconvenient since there is no support for granular search or cross-user restore.
- The manual method for converting an Office 365 mailbox to a PST file is a lengthy and time-consuming process.
- Emails, schedules, emails, and their contents in their entirety cannot get exported.
- There are no filter options for exporting products.
- This manual approach is best suited for those with professional knowledge.
A convenient way for taking Office 365 backup
The best method for taking Office 365 email backup is Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore tool. This software allows users and ends users to export addresses, contacts, and calendars from an Office 365 account to a local computer and restore the data as needed.
- It is an ideal tool for backing up Office 365 mailboxes to PST files. In terms of speed and user-friendly functionality, the software is cutting-edge. Users may also use this software to restore data from.pst files to Office 365 mailboxes.
- The experience of the user interacting with software is get improved by having a user-friendly interface.
- This tool works in a coordinated way. It is designed with cutting-edge technology to perform several tasks at once with ease.
- Periodic backups are possible with the software. The software will start removing Office 365 from mailboxes on a regular, weekly, or monthly basis, depending on the options.
- The software comes with the free demo version, which allows backup/restore of the first 50 items per folder.
In this blog post, I have shown you the process for Office 365 backup mailboxes to PST file formats in a few simple steps. If you have any technical abilities you can try using the manual method. However, if you are a novice and want to export Office 365 data, the Shoviv Office 365 email Backup software is the best option.